Climate Change Resolution
Stroud Town Council's Climate Change Resolution
To facilitate the reduction of carbon emissions, the council resolved to:
- Commit to becoming a carbon-neutral organisation by 2030, to include scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions2. Create a carbon audit and roadmap for achieving this aim by the end of 2019.
- Create a grant pot to encourage and enable carbon-reduction schemes within Stroud. The primary criterion for applications to the fund should be CO2 savings per pound spent. This pot will be £10k for the 2019-20 financial year.
- Include environmental implications of recommendations in officer reports alongside legal, financial and equality implications. These will include the impact of recommendations on CO2 emissions as well as any other relevant environmental factors.
- Seek ways to facilitate and encourage our community in reducing direct and indirect CO2 emissions and to become resilient to changes caused by the changing climate. We will take active steps where possible to encourage:
- More sustainable transport
- Reductions in energy use in homes, businesses and elsewhere
- Co-operation with organisations seeking to develop low carbon and community-led affordable housing in Stroud
- Use and development of renewable energy sources
- Production, sale and consumption of locally sourced food
- Reduction in consumption of animal products
- Any other methods of achieving the aims above
The Council was already very active on a number of projects and already had a number of policies in place which directly address relevant issues, but this resolution has led to an increased focus on carbon-reduction across all of our work.
Posted: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 11:29 by Admin team